Wednesday, June 13, 2012

Summer Picnic Series: Chicken Fingers and Dipping Sauces

Kids love to dip everything! Well, at least my kids do. For our picnic I made some dips to go along with the chicken strips I picked up at the market. Yes, I cheated because I wanted time to make the dips and I'm so glad I did.
The first dip was a horseradish dipping sauce. Oh my, this is so good. So glad I finally researched the recipe and made it my own. Now I can make it at home whenever. Next time it will be with onion rings.


Spicy Dipping Sauce
        
1/2 c. sour cream
2 tablespoon ketchup
2 teaspoons cream-style horseradish sauce
1/4 teaspoon paprika
1/2 teaspoon season salt
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 pinch black pepper
1//4 crushed red pepper flakes
In a bowl combine all ingredients and mix thoroughly. Serve immediately or refrigerate.



The second was a classic buttermilk ranch I watch Ina Garten make on the Food Network. Loved it.





  • 3 scallions, white and green parts, chopped
  • 1/2 cup chopped fresh basil leaves, lightly packed
  • 2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
  • 11/2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
  • 1 tablespoon good olive oil
  • 2 garlic cloves, chopped
  • 2 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt
  • 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
  • 1 cup good mayonnaise
  • 1/2 cup Greek-style yogurt, such as Fage Total
  • 1/2 cup buttermilk, shaken

  • Directions
      Place the scallions, basil, lemon juice, mustard, olive oil, garlic, salt, and pepper in the bowl of a food processor fitted with the steel blade. Puree for 15 to 20 seconds to make a smooth mixture. Add the mayonnaise, yogurt, and buttermilk and blend until smooth. Transfer the dressing to a container, cover, and refrigerate for 1 hour for the flavors to develop.              


     
    The thirst was an asian dipping sauce.


    1/2 cup soy sauce
    1/2 cup rice wine vinegar
    2 tablespoons honey
    3 cloves minced garlic
    2 tablespoons minced fresh ginger root
    2 teaspoons sesame seeds
    2 teaspoons sesame oil

    Whisk together the soy sauce, vinegar, honey, garlic, ginger, sesame seeds, sesame oil in a bowl.


    No comments:

    Post a Comment