Friday, June 15, 2012

Summer Picnic Series: Making your own Picnic Basket


I'm so thrilled! Today I am being features as one of Toni's Summer Camp Councelor from DesignDazzle.blogspot.com

When I started thinking about making my own picnic basket I thought I would come across a classic basket I could re-do but then I ran into a great thrift store find. I don't sew so I need projects that avoid sewing or a way I can pull off a project without making a stitch. This project fits the bill.

I picked up this old suitcase for just $5! I also bought red spray paint with primer for plastic, blue trim tape, glue and two kinds of coordinating fabric. I bought 3/4 of yard of each and it was plenty.  I trimmed my suitcase with tape to cover all the silver parts I wanted to save then applied two coats of paint.

At first I thought I would hot glue the fabric in place but these glue products worked better. I used the adhesive spray to tack the fabric in place then I used Fabric Fusion to glue the fabric around the inside of the suitcase. I started at the top and folded the fabric under about 1" so I would have a clean edge. I glued one edge of the suitcase at a time. When I reached a corner I tucked the fabric under and worked the extra fabric under to make a clean edge.

Here's my finished unconventional picnic basket...shiny red and finished with fabulous fabric.



I found some plates, cups and bowls I purchased from Target to match my picnic basket. I love them...especially the small dipping bowls.


Happy Picniking!

3 comments:

  1. Great ideas - it all looks fabulous! Love the idea of using a suitcase!
    Found you through Design Dazzle..
    Lowri

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you! Nice to get good feedback.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great idea for one of the old suitcases in my attic!

    ReplyDelete